MWC Ltd Edition NATO Pattern Mechanical Military Chronograph (Possibly Faulty but Nothing Apparent)
WATCH TYPE AND SKU / PRODUCT CODE: CHR/66-4/M
The MWC mechanical NATO chronograph is a Limited Edition model which is based on the same specification used by several other manufacturers of NATO chronographs but with a number of detail improvements to improve operation and visibility. Although the watch is made to a specification which is specifically designed to meet the needs of military aircrews it is also ideal for both airline and GA pilots.The actual case size is 45.5mm and the chronograph uses a 19 jewel handwound movement.
MWC have not made this model for some years due to difficulty sourcing a movement to fit the requirements but recently found a solution by modifying some movements to enable limited production of this model. The movement used is a ST19, the ST19 is the Venus 175 calibre manufactured by Seagull utilising the Venus tooling which was bought over in the 1960s when Venus was developing other movements. The Venus calibres 175, 176, 178, 183, and 184 were chronograph movements from the 1940's and 1950's and still considered very desirable by collectors*. Interestingly the parts between modern day Seagull ST19's and the vintage Venus 175 movements are interchangeable and our watchmaker used ST19 parts to restore a 1960's Venus 175 in a watch which he owns hence the ST19 is the ideal movement for a classic design of this type.
Technical Details of this Military Chronograph
- Movement: 19 Jewel Handwound Mechanical movement
- Case Diameter: 44mm exc crown and 45.5mm inc crown
- Lug to Lug 49mm
- Thickness: 13.5mm
- Dial Color: black
- Case Material: 316L Sand blasted Stainless Steel
- Caseback: 316L stainless steel
- Water Resistance: 5atm (50m or 165ft)
- Glass: Hardened Mineral Glass
- Strap: 22mm Black NATO Nylon Webbing Strap (Grey is an option)
- Illumination - Super Luminova for maximum nightime performance
* The desirability and attractive appearance of Venus movements and their successors has led to a range of manufacturers resurrecting the various Venus calibres. Of leading high end brands it is interesting to note that around twelve years ago, Maurice Lacroix manufactured 150 replica Venus 175 movements for their Masterpiece range, these were branded Calibre ML 36.
RETAIL PRICE (NEW): £419 / €491 / US$520
LINK TO MANUFACTURERS SITE: https://mwcwatches.com/collections/chronographs/products/mwc-ltd-edition-raf-pattern-mechanical-chronograph-non-date-model
POTENTIAL FAULT*: Runs but listed in a military/security industry sale as possibly faulty so might need a service or minor attention but of the handful we bought they all seem to run fine.
COSMETIC CONDITION 1 to 10 (10 = as new): Grade 10 - Brand New in Perfect Condition with Original Packaging.
*Please note the fault description is from a military and security industries auction it is normally fairly accurate but with many watches a fault can’t be found.